Expressions Cabinetry To Construct New Plant

Enjoying steady sales increases over the past year, Expressions Cabinetry will construct a new plant in two phases and hire additional employees. The total expansion cost for property, building, machinery and equipment will be around $700,000 according to Expressions’ owner and CEO Gary Brock. The new plant will operate under the name Pinnacle Enterprises, LLC.

Brock said his company has acquired 2.1 acres at the Gadsden Commerce Center to undertake the construction of a 12,000-square-foot manufacturing, warehousing and office facility that will fabricate and finish wood cabinet doors. Initially, Brock said, 11 to 14 new jobs will be created. The second phase will double the size of the building to 24,000-square-feet in order to increase manufacturing and warehousing capabilities. Total employment at the completion of phase two in some 18 to 24 months will be 22 to 24 new jobs.

“This is an exciting new venture for us because we will be entering an untapped market,” Brock said. “Up to this point, Expressions Cabinetry and its predecessor, Custom Panels, Inc., which came to Gadsden in 1988, have been competing in the entry-level, all-white cabinetry market which constitutes about 15 percent of the overall market. “Now, we can tap into the other 85 percent by offering a cabinet with various wood species doors and accessories, an up-scale more profitable area or our business.”

Brock’s optimism is shared by Expressions’ sales manager Bryan Mayer, who said the company could expect a 200 percent increase in business with the addition of the new line. Mayer said, based on his experience in dealing with independent cabinetry dealers and small home centers, the product ration of 30 percent white to 70 percent wood door will give the company the best (most saleable) product mix.

“Our growth plan was formulated many months ago,” Brock said, “but it didn’t come to fruition until we received able assistance from Mike McCain and the Gadsden Industrial Development Authority, he heads.” “ The IDA contacted city officials on our behalf and Deb Howard, the IDA’s director of Industry Assistance Programs, made application for incentives on the company’s behalf.”

Brock said the IDA provided the leads and contacts needed. Anytime an obstacle was encountered, the IDA provided a solution, Brock said. Chief among the solutions provided was contact with the East Alabama Regional Planning Commission that assisted Brock with low interest financing for the expansion. “Without the IDA, the City of Gadsden and the EARPC, there would be no project; I can’t over emphasize my sincere appreciation for all of those who made this expansion possible,” Brock said.

The 2.1-acre site acquired by Expressions Cabinetry is located just off State Highway 77 in the Gadsden Commerce Center. Expressions’ main plant is just around the corner on Thomas Drive, facing Jay Mid-South, LLC.

Expressions Cabinetry was created in March 2004 when Brock purchased Custom Panels, Inc. from David Gregerson. Custom Panels opened its doors in 1988 as part of White Consolidated Industries, but in 1992 the operation was taken over by Schrock Cabinets. When Schrock planned to close the plant permanently in 1996, Gregerson purchased it.